Sunday, June 7, 2009

Match-Maker Make Me a Match

It was such a delightful surprise last week when I received a phone call from our "Match-Maker" who was in Salem for the evening. In 1974 Jan was one of my very best friends in this part of the country. I moved to Salem in 1968 to work while my first husband went to Willamette University. When I applied for a dental assisting job, it was Jan (the office manager) who interviewed me. We met at White's Restaurant (still on Commercial Street in Salem) just across the drive from that office location at 1111 Liberty Street S E.
I was surprised, but pleased when Jan hired me without even consulting the two dentists that she worked for. They came to eat while we were at White's and she pointed them out to me. I liked her so much I could not imagine that my acceptance of the job would be anything but a great decision. And that it was. I worked for the Wold brothers for 14 years all together – long after Jan moved to Astoria, Oregon where she and her new husband ran an upholstery and home decor business.
These two dentists I found were among the finest and most respected dentists in Oregon. They both took turns as "President" of the Oregon Dental Association and were active in the executive boards of the organization. I learned so much from Jan I could never repay her. After she left I took her place in the "Business Office" and learned full cycle bookkeeping, scheduling, production control, communication skills and all the things that lead to a life long career in dentistry. I was a receptionist, bookkeeper, business manager, group practice administrator, and eventually graduated to run my own consulting business helping dental practices learn the skills I had developed through years of experience.
I retired my business in 1996 after writing 3 books and publishing one instructing dentists in leadership skills. I loved my work and it was so very hard to leave it behind. I grieved for my loss for at least 7 years. But now when I look back at the old pictures and remember the important things – I know that it was not my career that was so important – it was the people along the way. People who gave me so much knowledge – people with whom I struggled – people who challenged me and made me learn and grow. The things I remember as "most important" now are the jokes we played on each other, the laughter, the April Fools Tricks we pulled off together – the companionship we had along that path that defined "Careers". It was the journey along the path that brought the rewards and the greatest joy to my heart as I grow older.
The frosting on the cake, Jan, was that you introduced me to your fine employee and upholsterer, Ron, on a visit to see you at Thanksgiving of 1974. You probably had to twist his arm to convince him to be my date for one evening. You told me he only dated blonds – so when I first met him – I confessed "I'm not blonde, but I'm dumb, will I do?"

I did do and we are happily about to celebrate our 34th anniversary on July 4th 2009.

Thank you Jan, for all you have been in my life – and thanks for coming back to make sure your Match-Making was successful! We look forward to seeing lots more of you in the near future.

No comments: