Saturday, June 20, 2009

1980's Spiritual Renaissance

I'm going to take you back with me to revisit a period of time that was filled with an abundance of New Age Ideas, exciting possibilities, and thoughtful futuristic movement. It was another of those Life Changing times in our lives.

I was working in administration of a large dental group and several of my colleagues were involved in the concepts of "Holistic Health". I had resources such as "Brain Mind Bulletin", "Leading Edge Bulletin", "Journal of Humanistic Psychology" "Nexus Newsletter" and lectures by now World renowned leaders. I look back and feel so fortunate to have met and actually done workshops with the late Marilyn Ferguson, author of "The Aquarian Conspiracy" which became #1 best selling book in 1980. I never had the opportunity to go to college but the education I got participating by reading psychology, philosophy, history, and human resource development materials ignited my heart and soul with excitement and hope for the evolving human race.
My experiences included seminars by Deepak Chopra, Buckminster Fuller, Marilyn Ferguson, physicians turned Holistic Healers of the time Irving Oyle, and Brugh Joy.

Behavioral and evolutionary researcher Jean Houston, who pointed me to reading the works of paleontologist Teilhard de Chardin , Joseph Campbell master of mythology, Fritjof Capra author of "Turning Point", and one of my favorites to this day "Carolos Castaneda's" books revealing the mystical connection of all things.

I have underlined some of the above and with a click on the name you will be taken to a link with more information about each of these inspiring and captivating people. In 1980 we seemed to be awakening to a "one-ness" that lasted for such a short time. The historical pendulum continues to swing as we learn more about centering ourselves in the Universal Unfolding of things.

To feel alive and connected to something much bigger than myself and to all beings, plants, animals, and Mother Earth is my greatest joy in life to this day.

Ron & I felt incredibly honored to be able to share our excitement for life with a young woman who traveled from Sweden as an exchange student – our Swedish Daughter and love of our life – Maria. We celebrated Maria's 16th Birthday with her in 1980 just a day before Mt. St. Helens blew her top! It was an exciting time indeed.

We always have loved teenagers for their enthusiasm about life and their undaunted faith in a better future. Maria came to stay with her Uncle Ulf and Aunt Pet, in exchange with their son Erik who had stayed with Maria's family as an exchange student to Sweden. When Maria wanted to experience the "City Life" they were so generous as to allow her to spend the last few months of her year long stay with us. We shall be eternally grateful.

Maria, you taught us so much! Even though you didn't succeed in teaching us to speak Swedish – you made our world much larger with your courage and experiences.

Maria had graduated high school in Sweden and came to do her Senior Year in America.
We were amazed at her enthusiasm for learning. We still had our two boys at home with us and they were less enthusiastic about school and learning. Maria became deeply entwined in my work and my reading and studies and when it was time to write a paper for her class in creative writing – she choose the topic of "Holistic Health" and wrote a brilliant paper in her second language – English – that earned her an "A". She became involved in the Ski Club, and brought other exchange students home to meet us. We met Kathy from Australia – and took her camping with us "in the bush". She was surprised to find only deer – no kangaroos in the "bush"! We met another young woman from England who delighted us by carefully eating her pizza with a fork and knife, stating that, "me Mum would kill me if I picked up food with my hands".

Maria made Swedish Meat Balls for us – requiring white pepper and a search for Lingonberry's found only in Sweden but a must to accompany Swedish Meat Balls!

In the years to follow, Maria and her family would visit many times – always blessing us with a greater understanding of the world we share.

The first time Maria left us to go back home – I thought my heart would break! Just before boarding the plane home – she turned back and said, "Think of it this way, you are not losing a Daughter, you are gaining a bedroom!" You were right Maria, that "bedroom" has sheltered many other's since 1980 and we have loved and treasured it all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you "Mom" for giving me such a wonderful experience! I'll always treasure my second family and think of you all the time. You made my year into something very exciting and educational. I'll always love you! Maria

Ron and Betty said...

We will always refer to you as our Swedish Daughter, Maria! We Love You and your kids are just beautiful! See you as soon as you can travel!!!
Love
Betty & Ron

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

What a great pic of you all! I can't wait to meet Maria (and to tease Ron about his very large shirt collar!)