Thursday, April 30, 2009

Going to the Dogs


Just like that – in an instant it seems – our teenagers had grown up and taken on their own life adventures. Shortly before our youngest, Tim, sprouted wings to fly away he adopted a beautiful little yellow lab puppy he named Buddy. My daughter and her husband had recently adopted a pure bred Keeshond puppy and he was SO cute – I wanted one too! Ron surprised me with a little boy Keeshond we named Muffit. So for a short period of time we had two cute little puppies sharing their special run and sleeping with my son Tim every night. When Tim had a job opportunity in Seattle and moved away, he left Buddy with her friend Muffit, and before you know it Puppy Love ensued! Then we had Buddy, Muffit, Baby Mugsley – who would stay with us, and a litter of seven other siblings who would be adopted by loving homes.

Just before Mugsley was born Ron's daughter and her husband announced that they were expecting our first Grandchild! They came to live with us for a short while during a move from the East. They brought with them a kitty (who was pregnant)! We were in the midst of a population explosion!

Today Ron & I went fishing. Or to be more accurate – Ron fished – I watched and encouraged. We drove to Detroit Lake and then further East on the Santiam River where we enjoyed the beautiful sunny day and the beautiful snow covered Mt. Jefferson. We took a short side trip to the past – and traveled a few miles up the Whitewater River to the camp site where Ron's oldest son "Ronnie" and his sweetheart "DeeDee" carved their initials in a little birch tree – over 22 years ago. The tree is still there – much bigger –and the Sweethearts gave us our first girl Grandchild who is now 21 years old! We reminisced together recalling all those wonderful camping trips with dogs and grandkids and their parents and our hearts simply overflowed with joyful thoughts as we started to sing an off key version of "Those were the Days my Friend, We thought they'd never End!

Since Ron didn't catch any fish today – we stopped at Costco and picked up a steelhead and I called friends to say we came home with enough steelhead to grill tomorrow. Just to make our story accurate – I took the package of steelhead out of the bag and threw it across the kitchen to Ron who said, "Man, What a Catch"!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I rememeber many fun camping trips with Dad and Betty. I still love camping and fishing. I remarried in 2005 and my wedding gift from my husband was a fly rod and a 357. My dad taught me well. Love you Dad. Your the best. Vicki Sue

Ron and Betty said...

I'm so glad you have fond memories too Vicki. I remember we gave you a bucket to keep you catch alive until your Dad could execute the fish humanely. Your Dad sends his love too.
Betty

Maria said...

I also have great memories of going fishing at White Water! And those beautiful dogs. Miss you lots. Maria