Friday, October 14, 2011

Betty's 70th Birthday Celebration

Looking at the weather forcast you wouldn't believe that we could have such a beautiful weekend - but the proof is in the pictures.  The first taken on Oct 6th Thursday when we checked in the Surfrider along with my daughter Debbie - husband Jack, and Son Ernie and family of four.

We had a beautiful sunset the first day with rain coming for the second day on Friday the 7th.



Friday was the day for me to take Ernie and his family to the Yaquina Head Lighthouse and Interpretive Center.  It was raining hard but we enjoyed the center and then everyone except me climed the stairs to the top of the lighthouse while I explored inside.


 This is the tallest light house on the Oregon Coast - lots of steps up!

 The pelicans are in their South bound migration to Baja California this time of year.  There were thousands!

Ernie, DD, Alyssa and Justin came a long way to celebrate with me.  Thank you kids!
Nice weather on Saturday and our guests Rolf, Jerry & Angel, Tim & Marilyn, Ernie & family, Eli & Lindsay, along with Ron - all went to Newport Bay where they rented crab boats and all in all came back with 28 Dungeness Crab which they took to Fogerty Creek Park to cook, clean, crack and brought them back to enjoy.  We had Crab Coctails served to 20 on Saturday night - followed by a pot luck to feed a queen - which I am!  Evan & Brandy placed a "Birthday Girl" sash around my neck - and there are plenty of pictures of the guests and I.  My guests have those pictures - so if you will send them to me - I will post them on the blog.  Ulf & Pet honored us on the last two days by joining us in our suite.  I am so honored by all the people who came to help me celebrate.  A better party I could not have asked for!!  Thank you all so much!
E-mail your pics so we can run another blog with people pictures.

As we got ready to check out on Monday the 10th - the storm was coming and the pelicans flew over our door to take refuge on the sheltered beach below.

Thank You Ulf & Pet for driving such a long way and sharing such generous gifts with me.  You are the best!

Thanks especially to Ron who worked so hard for the funding of this big event.  Thank you to my kids Tim & Marilyn who shared beautiful gifts (Roku & Kindle) Debbie & Jack (beautiful scarfe, Cat Wine Bottle, and huge monitary donation to the cause) we will enjoy for years to come.  Thank you to Jerry & Angel who drove so far (7 hours) from Seattle area to join us.  Thank you Rolf who took time out of your schedule to share your expertise with the ocean - and the beautiful bottle of wine.  Thanks to Mike & Cymthia who could not attend - but we enjoyed the bottle of Tequila you brought us from Mexico a couple of years ago - that has just been waiting for such a celebration!  Marilyn and Evan played their guitars while gifts were presented and later a large group took the celebration to the beach Saturday night playing guitars - building a big beach fire - while the guys cooked and cleaned the rest of the crab catch.  Thanks Eli for bringing your boat and for the gift of Salmon and crab.  The JOY is huge.  Thank You from the bottom of my 70 year old healthy heart!!
Love you all,
Betty

2 comments:

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Very nice! It looks like you had a grand time. Love, Cynthia & Mike

Anonymous said...

Oh, I so wish we could have been there with you to celebrate! I do hope we can do a late celebration next summer, Swedish style! Love you and miss you so much. Maria