Monday, September 27, 2010

Round About My Hometown

After arriving in Idaho Falls my Bob (my brother) and Barbara (his wife) took us for a drive.  We wound through the countryside past my first grade school, past two differnt farms where our family lived while I was growing up.  Some of the buildings were still there.  Funny how it all seems so much smaller now.  Then we drove to the foot hills that flank the Snake River Valley on the East to see the ever growing Wind Farms





Ron & I were both thrilled to see so many of these wind farms in action on both sides of the gorge in both Oregon and Washington on our way.  It is amazing to me how this new technology is just happening. 

There was a lot about this trip that amazed me.  The place I grew up was so dominately mormon that I felt very much a minority.  The culture has changed.  It used to be that July 4th was never celebrated in Idaho Falls because July 24th (Mormon Day) was such a big celebration.  This is no longer so.  It is still the main religion but much more diverse in attitudes than I remembered. 



The beautiful "Idaho Falls"
We arrived on Monday Sept. 5th and left for our Yellowstone adventure on Sept. 8th.
It was a wonderful trip and I will share some of the highlights with you on the next blog.
Love to all

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're enjoying your trip! Can't wait to hear about the reunion. Love Maria

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

I am also facinated by modern windmills and love the comparison shot you took so we can have some perspective about just how BIG they really are.

No 4th of July celebration back in the day in Idaho Falls? They should be ashamed, but I'm glad they have it now. Hot dogs and apple pie!